Following the event in which he announced the iPad and Apple TV to third generation, Apple has made the necessary software updates. Along with iTunes 6.10, the Cupertino company has also published iOS 5.1.
This update, less than its minor numbering would suggest, finally refines some features in accordance with the expectations of many users:
- Beginning with the possibility to delete photos from the Photo feeds, opened with iOS 5.0
- Access to the camera from the lock screen now builds of Android, with a button that must be always visible slide. Access to the camera from the locked screen, also opened with IOS 5.0, required far a double button press home.
- The Face Detection function highlights the detected faces (iPhone 4S and iphone 3G only)
- Customers can now benefit iTunes Match Genius Mixes and Genius playlists
- The weight at which a download must be done over Wi-Fi has been raised from 20 to 50 MB
A number of features are naturally reserved for the iPhone, while model confused (when applicable):
- Redesign of the camera application for iPad, with improved ergonomics essential: the shutter button is near the home regardless of camera orientation, as on the iPhone
- Optimizing the audio of TV shows and movies to deliver a louder and clearer on the iPad
- Control the playback speed for podcasts and rewind 30 seconds on iPad
iOS 5.1 finally brings, as usual, a lot of patches independent of the apparatus used:
- Fixed problems related to battery
- Fixed an issue that can occasionally cause the loss of audio during calls made
- Batch of security updates to the WebKit rendering engine
- iOS 5.1 is therefore now available. Devices running IOS 5.0 can be updated independently from the application Settings> General> Software Update, after a download of 177 to 206 MB. The update can still be done from iTunes, through a download of between 656 and 803 MB.
It only took a few hours to make it possible to jailbreak iOS 5.1 under certain conditions. limera1n The exploit discovered by Geohot is actually still valid on iOS devices operating not chip Apple A5 or later, that is to say until the iPhone 4, the 4th generation iPod Touch and 1st generation iPad. MuscleNerd of the Dev Team has already updated the tool redsn0w, now in version 0.9.10b6. However, it is tethered type, that is to say he can not resist a restart of the device.